Working out for me is such a HABIT that for me it is weird when I do not do it. I am just so used to working out, that I feel bad when I don’t. Now Do Not take this as I am being obsessive, or ridiculous. I know when my body needs a break and believe me when I feel that way I take it!
So how did I get where I am now? What keeps me going?
Research shows that it takes 21 Days to form a habit. Think about that. That is only 3 weeks. Does not seem like a real long time am I right? So if you have to torture yourself for such a short amount of time for a healthy habit, for something that will improve your life why not do it? Seriously?
So what you need to do…
- Schedule it. Make it as important as a Doctors appointment or a business meeting. You don’t skip those!
- Pick a time and workout at that time daily. For me it is first thing in the morning. Weekends too unless its a rest day. I get up drink my pre workout, pee (hahahah TMI), then hit play. Now sometimes it does not go as planned. But does that mean I say fuck it and throw in the towel? Nope. It will make me feel better. Somedays, a 30 min workout takes triple the time because my kids need me. They have gotten better with it though so this does not happen as much anymore.
- Let your significant other know this is important to you. That you will be working out and you need this time.
- Remember that it is not selfish to take care of yourself. Sometimes you need to put you first.
- If your day does not go as planned and you cannot fit it in. Do Not get discouraged just move your schedule back one day!
- Quitting is not an option.
- Have a Strong Why. What do I mean by this, this is the reason why you started on the journey to begin with. Really think about it. It has to be so strong that you will always go back to what you were doing.
- Triggers! Set out your workout clothes, go to a gym then leave a gym bag in your car, set a reminder on your phone, have an accountability partner text you, put on your workout gear as soon as you wake up, this list is endless. Basically do whatever you need to so you Move your ASS!
- Pick something you actually like to do. If you like to run do that, lift, dance, yoga, I don’t give a shit. Pick something. Want to workout at home, great, a gym great. Just do something.
- Don’t get discouraged. Sometimes the scale won’t move. Think about everything that you are doing that is good for yourself! Remember those little NSVs!
Hope this helps you!! Keep moving forward. Don’t compare yourself to others. What good is it going to do for you? You have no idea what leg of the journey someone else is on! Be supportive of one another for the same reason. You supporting someone else may help you stay motivated!